Department: Bio Sciences
12 Years (Research and Academics)
Dr. Umesh Kumar has done his doctoral thesis entitled "Epigenetic Regulation in Breast Carcinogenesis" in Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research (ACBR), Delhi University (North Campus) in 2013. From his thesis, he was able to publish his interesting findings in peer-reviewed international journals of repute. Dr. Kumar joined the Division of Molecular Oncology in Institute of Cytology & Preventive Oncology (ICMR), Noida which was also WHO collaborated South East Asia Referral Laboratory for the Diagnosis of HPV induced Cervical cancer and later he shifted to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research (ACBR), Delhi University (North Campus) in 2010. After his doctoral thesis, He joined Stem Cells Biology Laboratory for his Post Doc in National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi in 2014 where His Scientific Group has published in the field of Epithelial ovarian cancer stem cells in Nature Oncogene. In 2016, he worked in Department of Biochemistry as a Scientific Officer for DNA Sequencing and Microarray facility in South Campus, University of Delhi up to July 2017. In August 2017 he joined the Molecular Oncology laboratory in Drug Discovery & Development Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Delhi University. He has studied promoter hypermethylation of important tumor suppressor genes including BRCA1, p16, CDH1, GSTP1, HIC1, MGMT gene in sporadic breast cancer and their correlation with increasing severity of breast lesions. Study indicated the pivotal role of epigenetic silencing of specific genes in breast cancer which may serve as a potential therapeutic target for breast cancer. He has received excellent training in various molecular biology techniques including DNA, RNA and protein preparation, PCR, single-strandconformation polymorphism (SSCP), Automated DNA sequencing, Next-Generation Sequencing, methylation-specific PCR, RT-PCR, western blotting, EMSA, ELISA, mammalian cell culture, Immunohistochemistry, FISH, FACS and other associated advanced molecular biology techniques.
1. Scientist of the Year 2020 by The Society of Biomedical Laboratory Scientists, SBMLS in a Symposium on Basic & Translational Oncology organized on 24th February 2020 at IMS Ghaziabad.
2. ESDA Green Leadership Award 2020 by Environment and Social Development Association Delhi during World Environment Summit 2020 at VPCI University of Delhi on 18 to 19 January 2020.
3. Young Scientist Award in Basic Science Category at IAMBSSCON 2019 in PGIMER Chandigarh.
4. Fellow of Society of Biomedical Laboratory Scientists (FSBMLS.) by The Society of Biomedical Laboratory Scientists, SBMLS on the occasion of International Biomedical Laboratory Scientists Day on 16th April 2019.
5. Senior Scientist Award-2018 by The Society of Biomedical Laboratory Scientists, SBMLS for outstanding contribution and recognition in the field of Biomedical Science (Cancer Research) on the occasion of BIOMEDCON 2018 on 28th December 2018.
6. FBPS, Fellowship awarded by Blue Planet Society Allahabad at Constitutional Club of India, New Delhi 27th December 2017.
7. National Green Award, 2017 in the field of Cancer Epigenetics by ESDA (Environment & Social Development Association at Constitutional Club of India, New Delhi ON 27th December 2017.
8. Awarded ICMR-Senior Research Fellowship by Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) New Delhi in 2010 for three years (2010 - 2013).
Molecular Biology, Molecular Genetics, Molecular Epigenetics, Cancer Biology, Molecular Medicine, Stem Cell Biology, Translational Oncology, Immunotherapeutics, System Biology, Molecular Diagnostics
1. Umesh Kumar, Garima Rathi, Lakshit Sharma, Khalid Umar Fakhri, Anil Kumar Mavi, Jyoti Goyal, Sumit Kumar. Epigenetic Regulation of Breast Cancer. Handbook of Research on Advancements in Cancer Therapeutics (ISBzN13: 9781799865308) IGI Global Publications. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-6530-8.ch006
2. Khalid Umar Fakhri, Umesh Kumar, Moshahid Rizvi.et al., Phytopharmaceuticals in Cancer Treatment. Handbook of Research on Advancements in Cancer Therapeutics (ISBN13: 9781799865308) IGI Global Publications. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-6530-8.ch025
3. Pallavi Saxena, Vinod Kumar, Noopur Khare, Neeraj Pal, Dibyabhaba Pradhan, Pradeep K Chaturvedi, Arun Kumar Jain, Piyush Jain, Umesh Kumar. Cardiovascular Diseases and Nutraceuticals: Underlying Mechanism and Therapeutic Biomarkers. (In Press, Bentham Science Impact Factor 3.2)
4. Salonee Martins, Aishwarya Pathare, Purva Salvi, Unnati Bhalerao, Mahalaxmi U Bhat, Meenakshi Singh, Muneesh Kumar Barman, Kailash Chand, Sai Tejaswi Lavuri , Nitish VenkateswarluMogili, Sanjeeb Mohapatra, Umesh Kumar, Ujjawal Sharma, Manjita Srivastava and PrudhvilalBhukya. Microbial Indicators and Methods for Source Tracking Faecal Contamination of Groundwater. Legacy, Pathogenic and Emerging Contaminants in the Environment, Page 21, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1201/9781003157465
1. Project Title: Genomic target based chemical ligand profiling using natural products for identification of potential drugs for Rheumatoid arthritis therapy Funding Agency: DST SERB Scheme: SERB Teachers Associateship in Research Excellence (TARE) Duration: 3 Years (2019- 2022) Total Grant: 15 lacs along with 60000/ fellowship Collaboration: Institute of Genomics & Integrative Biology CSIR Delhi &, AIIMS, New Delhi
2. Project Title: Analysis of promoter methylation of specific tumor suppressor genes in breast carcinogenesis Funding Agency: ICMR Total Grant: 6 lacs Collaboration: Max Super Speciality Hospital, Patparganj, New Delhi
1. Umesh Kumar, Ujjawal Sharma and Garima Rathi. Reversal of hypermethylation and reactivation of glutathione S-transferase pi 1 gene by curcumin in breast cancer cell line. Tumor Biology 2017 Feb;39(2):1010428317692258. DOI: 10.1177/1010428317692258 IMPACT FACTOR: 3.65
2. Md. Zahid Akhter, Surender Serawat, Vikash Kumar, Umesh Kumar, Veena Kochat, ZaffarEqubal, Sandeep Mathur, Lalit Kumar, Asok Mukhopadhyay. Aggressive serous epithelial ovarian cancer is potentially propagated by EpCAM+CD45+ phenotype. Oncogene. 2018 Jan 30. PMID: 29379166 DOI: 10.1038/s41388-017-0106-y IMPACT FACTOR: 9.87
3. Hedau S, Kumar U, Hussain S, Shukla S, Pande S, Jain N, Tyagi A, Despande T, Bhat D, Mir MM, Chakrabvarty S, Singh YM, Kumar R, Somasundaram K, Bharti AC, Das BC. Breast cancer and human papillomavirus infection: No evidence of HPV etiology of breast cancer in Indian women. BMC Cancer. 2011 Jan 20;11(1):27 PMID: 21247504 PMCID: PMC3036645 DOI: 10.1186/1471-2407-11-27 IMPACT FACTOR: 4.14
4. Umesh Kumar, Ujjawal Sharma and Ramesh Chandra. Glutathione S-transferase pi 1 gene methylation: A novel biomarker in Breast Carcinogenesis Int. J. Sci. Res. &Communi., 2018; (3) 1: 11-14 IMPACT FACTOR: NA
5. Anil Kumar Mavi, Sonam Spalgais, Kamal Singh, Umesh Kumar, Raj Kumar, Expression profile of MUC1 protein in Pigeon allergens positive asthmatic, Immunobiology,Volume 226, Issue 3, 2021,152086, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.imbio.2021.152086 IMPACT FACTOR: 3.180
6. Neeraj Pal, Anil Kumar Mavi, Sundip Kumar, Umesh Kumar, Maya Datt Joshi, Rohit Saluja. Current updates on Adaptive Immune Response by B cell and T cell stimulation and Therapeutic Strategies for Novel COVID-19 treatment. Heliyon, Volume 7, Issue 4, 2021, e06894, ISSN 2405-8440. DOI: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2021.e06894 IMPACT FACTOR: 2.85
7. Deeksha Pal, Jyoti Goyal, Ujjawal Sharma, Aman Sharma, Saurabh Prashar, Garima Rathi, Bunty Sharma, Umesh Kumar. Mesenchymal stem cells in SARS -CoV-2 infection: A hype or hope. Life Sciences, Volume 284, 2021, 119901 DOI: 10.1016/j.lfs.2021.119901 IMPACT FACTOR: 5.037
8. Mansi Kumari, Umesh Kumar, Anil Kumar Mavi, Janvi Sharma, Amarjeet Singh and Sonam Spalgias. Dynamics of Th17 lymphocyte regulation in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma and the associated immune regulation and available immunotherapies. Clinical Immunology, Elsevier IMPACT FACTOR: 3.89
9. Shashi Dhar Mehta, Manisha Bansal, Anil Kumar Mavi, Suhel Parvez, Suhasini Bhatnagar, Umesh Kumar. Study of alcohol-induced Neuropathic pain in Wistar rats using Allium Sativum: A Green approach. (Under Review, Defence Life Science Journal, DRDO) IMPACT FACTOR: 1.20
10. Umesh Kumar, Anil Kumar Mavi, Sanghdeep Gautam, Dinesh Kumar, Manoj Kumar, Vinod Kumar, Prudhvi Lal Bhukya. Current updates on anti-tubercular drugs for the treatment of tuberculosis (Submitted to Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, Elsevier) IMPACT FACTOR: 2.83
11. Umesh Kumar, Garima Rathi, Vinod Kumar, Urmi Mukherjee and Geeta Kadayaprath. Analysis of Breast Cancer susceptibility genes BRCA1 and BRCA 2 protein expression profile in normal and neoplastic breast tissue samples and their correlation with clinicopathological attributes in north Indian women. (Submitted to Gene, Elsevier) IMPACT FACTOR: 3.67
12. Umesh Kumar, Garima Rathi, Alka Diwaker, Vinod Kumar, Urmi Mukherjee and Geeta Kadayaprath. Promoter hypermethylation in GSTP1, HIC1 and CDH1 genes as a marker for early-stage Triple Negative Breast Cancer. (Submitted to Gene) IMPACT FACTOR: 3.89
13. Manisha Banshal, Umesh Kumar, Vinod Kumar, Bahua Liu. The Proliferation of Cellular Senescence with Aging and its Interplay in Breast Cancer. (Submitted to Life Sciences, Elsevier May 2021) IMPACT FACTOR: 5.017
14. Umesh Kumar, BhupenderSahu, Janvi Sharma, Satyam Bathla, Nidhi Mishra, Vinod Kumar. Preventive strategies against Novel Corona Virus Disease (COVID-19) by natural compounds & involvement of immune cells (Submitted to Clinical Immunology, Elsevier August 2021) IMPACT FACTOR: 3.89
1. Presented a paper on Reversal of hypermethylation and reactivation of GSTP1 in breast cancer cell line using curcumin at World Non Communicable Diseases Congress 2017 organized by School of Public Health, PGIMER, Chandigarh 4th to 6th November 2017.
2. Delivered Invited talk on Epigenetic Regulation in Breast Carcinogenesis in Indian Breast Cancer Conference 2017 organized by Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplantation Department, Birla Cancer Institute, SMS Hospital, Jaipur at Hotel Lalit, Jaipur on 7th October, 2017.
3. Delivered Mid level Scientist Oration in 12th Asian Clinical Oncology Society Conference & 35th Annual Convention of Indian Association for Cancer Research entitled "Cancer in Asia: Bridging the gaps" organized by All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi at The Ashok, New Delhi from April 8-10, 2016.
4. Participated in 5th International Conference on Translational Cancer Research organized by MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Houston, USA in collaboration with Delhi State Cancer Institute, New Delhi at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi from 6th to 9th February, 2014.
5. Participated in 32nd Annual convention of Indian Association for Cancer Research & International Symposium: Infection & Cancer organized by Dr. B R Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research (ACBR), University of Delhi from 13th -16th February, 2013.
6. Attended a Golden Jubilee Celebrations CME entitled "Molecular Diagnosis of Genetic Diseases" organized by Department of Biochemistry, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research Chandigarh from December 22-23, 2012.
7. Attended an International Conference entitled "New Horizons in Cancer Research: Biology to Prevention to Therapy Conference" held in Gurgaon, Delhi (NCR) organized by American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) from December 13 -16, 2011.
8. Attended 28th Annual Convention of Indian Association for Cancer research & International Symposium on Emerging Challenges and Approaches in Cancer Biology organized by Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore from February 21st to 24th, 2009.
9. Delivered an Oral presentation in an international conference on "Recent Trends in Interdisciplinary Sciences: Opportunities and Challenges" (RTISOC-2014) organized by Faculty of Sciences, MMC, CCS University, Meerut from February 28th to March 1st 2014.
Participated in TEQIP-III sponsored one week Faculty Development Programme on Recent Trends in Translational Medicine, RDTM-2018 organized by Department of Biotechnology, Delhi Technological University, Delhi on March 12-16, 2018.
1. Organizing Secretary in National Symposium on Basic & Translational Oncology: Diagnosis & Research & 5th Annual Scholars’ Science Meet of SBMLS at School of Biosciences, IMS Ghaziabad University Courses Campus on the 21st of December 2019 at IMS Ghaziabad UC Campus, NH24, Adhyatmik Nagar, Ghaziabad.
2. rganizing Secretary in National Conference on “Emerging Trends in Non-Communicable Diseases: Road to Prevention and Cure” organized by the School of Biosciences, IMS Ghaziabad University Courses Campus on the 17th of November 2018 at IMS Ghaziabad UC Campus, NH24, Adhyatmik Nagar, Ghaziabad.
3.Organizing Committee Member in 9th Symposium on Frontiers in Biomedical Sciences -FBR 2014 organized by ACBR, University of Delhi from 14th April to 16th April 2014.
4. Co-Convenor in the National Seminar on Environmental Challenges of India organized by Environmental and Social Development Association (ESDA) at The Constitutional Club of India, Rafi Marg, New Delhi held on December 27-28, 2017.
5. Member of organizing committee in the National Conference on Environmental Challenges for "New India" organized by Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar College, University of Delhi and Environmental and Social Development Association (ESDA) in collaboration with CSIR-NEERI and NESA New Delhi at Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar College, University of Delhi held on June 2-3, 2017.
6. Organizing Member in the National Enviro-Meet organized by Environmental and Social Development Association (ESDA) at Gandhi Peace Foundation, DeenDayal Upadhyay Marg, New Delhi held on May 7, 2017.
1. Participated as organizing committee member in 32nd Annual convention of Indian Association for Cancer Research & International Symposium: Infection & Cancer organized by Dr. B R Ambedkar Center for Biomedical Research (ACBR), University of Delhi from 13th -16th February 2013.
2. Participated as organizing committee member in Biostatistics & Epidemiology in Biomedical Research entitled "Orientation in Medical Research Methodology and Approach of Biostatistical Analysis" at ICPO (ICMR) from 3rd Dec to 5th December 2008.
1. Participated in the training course on Biostatistics & Epidemiology in Biomedical Research entitled "Orientation in Medical Research Methodology and Approach of Biostatistical Analysis" at ICPO (ICMR) from 3rd Dec to 5th Dec, 2008.
2. Participated in the "Seminar and training workshop on Spectral Confocal Laser Scanning Microscopy" conducted at Institute of Cytology and Preventive Oncology (ICMR), Noida from 4th to 6th August, 2008.
3. Participated in the Examiner for Oral Presentation in the National workshop on "Thieme Chemistry: Science of Synthesis" organized by department of Chemistry, University of Delhi, Delhi on September 28, 2018.
Participated in TEQIP-III sponsored one week Faculty Development Programme on Recent Trends in Translational Medicine, RDTM-2018 organized by Department of Biotechnology, Delhi Technological University, Delhi on March 12-16, 2018. Participated in FDP entitled “Artificial Intelligence: Opportunities in COVID-19 Drug Development and Disease Management” organized by Amity Institute of Molecular Medicine & Stem Cell Research Uttar Pradesh & MACFAST Kerala on 24th April 2021. Participated in 5 Days FEP entitled “Cutting Edge Science in Cellular and Molecular Biomedicine” organized by Amity Institute of Molecular Medicine & Stem Cell Research, Amity University Uttar Pradesh from 27th to 31st July 2021. Participated in one-week Faculty Development Program sponsored under AICTE ATAL scheme on "Genome Engineering: Crispr-Cas as an emerging tool" from 14th-18th December 2021organized by IMS Engineering College, Ghaziabad
Wednesday 06-12-2023 11:00AM and
Friday 08-12-2023 11:00 AM.